Part of the global Climathon movement, Houston's hackathon invites you to develop solutions towards #SDG13: Climate Action!
Houston, “The Energy Capital of the World,” has experienced three 500-year-flood disasters—including the destruction from Hurricane Harvey—in the same amount of years. We’ve seen local talent rise to these challenges in the past, and want to give them a platform to take their solutions to the next level. In such a diverse city with a tremendous amount of resources, it seems only natural that Houston can help lead the way in developing local solutions that can scale to other contexts…especially in light of the Mayor’s recently-announced Climate Action Plan.
Climathon Houston 2019 is Houston’s opportunity to:
- Engage the nonprofit, startup and entrepreneurship communities to develop innovative solutions towards climate action
- Build stronger relationships among impact-oriented organizations and communities
- Connect thought leaders and subject matter experts with designers, developers, entrepreneurs, policymakers and activists for more creative, effective, and viable solutions
- Send talented Houstonians to present their solution at the Climathon Global Awards in France!
$49,300 in prizes
Official Submission to the Global Awards! (3)
The top three solutions will be submitted for a chance to go to the Climathon Global Awards in Paris and win a Citizens Award and cash prizes: 1st) EUR 10,000 / 2nd) EUR 5000 / 3rd) EUR 2500
Finalists who are then selected by the Global Awards jury to move to the next phase will receive:
- An invitation to the Climathon Global Awards Ceremony on January 31 in Paris during the ChangeNOW Summit
- A dedicated one-day bootcamp to grow your idea, on January 30 in Paris
- Free entrance to the 3-day ChangeNOW Summit
- Complimentary travel and accommodation for one person per team of semi-finalists (additional team members are more than welcome to join at their own expense!)
Topl Impact Tracker
Houston's highest scoring team will be awarded the opportunity to work with Topl to build a customized Impact Tracker for their solution: This Tracker will give the winners the opportunity to turn their sustainable solution into verifiable action by creating, analyzing, and eventually exchanging Impact Credits on Topl, the impact blockchain!
"Wild and Scenic Film Festival" Passes from the Citizens' Environmental Coalition (3)
The top solutions will win passes to the "Wild and Scenic Film Festival," courtesy of the Citizens’ Environmental Coalition!
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
All are welcome who are passionate about developing solutions to address the myriad issues around climate change.
You can bring an existing idea to work on, or develop a new solution with an inspiring team. Solutions can be low-tech -- like behavioral change, policy-based solutions, or other local activities -- or high-tech. Coaches and experts will be on hand to help you develop promising solutions to Houston’s climate challenges.
CEO/ED, Impact Hub Houston
Kim Raath/Chris Georgen
Chief Sustainability Officer, City of Houston
Director of Innovation, City of Houston
Executive Director, Citizens' Environmental Coalition
Founder, January Advisors & Sketch City
Founder, Footprint App
Teams who have developed an idea that clearly a) responds to the presented Challenge, and; b) addresses a climate issue.
The solution was well presented and clearly outlines the why, how and what of the idea.
The teams expresses motivation, enthusiasm and an interest in being able to develop their idea further.
If successful, the idea could have large scale impact